After getting most of our things unpacked, my husband and I are both thrilled to discover that we are actually fitting in this house better then we did our 1600 sq. foot house! It’s really all in the set up of the house. Our last house did not have a basement, it was on a slab with 2 bedrooms on the main floor and a large room on the second floor. The three oldest children shared the upstairs room, and they felt disconnected from us.
Our current house has three smaller bedrooms all nestled together at the end of a hallway. The small hallway is blessed with three closets which greatly helps in storage. We are working on organizing our one small bathroom (to be featured in another blog post!) and making it easy to get ready on Sunday mornings. 🙂 Our bookshelves and business resides downstairs in the finished basement.
The blessings of living in a small house are:
- It’s easier to clean because there is less space to clean! A small living room floor to vacuum, one bathroom to clean, etc. It just cuts down on cleaning time.
- We are growing closer together as a family. This is a blessing that I did not expect at all. Since our living quarters are tighter, we are all forced to be together all the time, and it really is helping us become knit together as a family better.
- I can hear the children playing (versus them running upstairs to their bedroom before), and have been able to stay on top of correcting foolish or unkind attitudes better.
- Clutter must, must, must be constantly eliminated! I have a get rid of box going at all times, and even though I purged before we moved I’m still adding things to it as we finish unpacking.
- The most obvious – it’s cheaper! For us, our monthly payment went down and our utililites are cheaper. As you all know, every little bit helps 🙂
I feel like the Lord has blessed us in giving us this house to rent. The location leaves a lot to be desired, (small yard, no fence, and not the greatest area of town), but I feel peace here knowing that we were given this place to live while my husband finishes college. The Lord is so good to lead us forward, even through the trials. I am excited to see what the future holds for us next year when my husband graduates!