Every year we have a family bake day and it’s so much fun! One item that is always made is puppy chow. It’s a favorite of mine, and I normally only have it during the holidays.
The nice thing about this recipe is it’s so simple, even children can make it! We don’t have a microwave at our house, but we normally do our baking day at my mother-in-law’s house, and she has one. 🙂
Dark Chocolate Puppy Chow Mix Recipe
3 Cups Chex cereal
1/2 Cup dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 Cup peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon peppermint flavoring
1/4 Cup powdered sugar
1/4 Cup red and white white peppermint M&Ms
1. Place your powdered sugar in a large ziplock bag and set aside. Using a bag is the fastest, easiest way to make this! Don’t try to mix it up in a bowl, just shake it in the bag!
2. In a microwave safe dish, melt your chocolate in the microwave on 50% power for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly until melted
3. Stir in your peanut butter, and microwave for an additional 30 seconds on 50% power
4. Add in your peppermint flavoring and stir
5. Pour your chocolate over your Chex and mix carefully
6. Now scoop your chocolate covered Chex into your ziplock bag and shake well, use your fingers to separate any clumps of Chex.
7. Place in a serving dish and scoop your peppermint M&Ms on top and enjoy!
We like to pass this out to our neighbors in little bags, along with other treats we make.