How to Make Your Own Magnesium Lotion

This post may contain Affiliate Links. Thank you for your support!

Make your own magnesium lotion! |

Magnesium oil is receiving a lot of attention these days. It can be commonly overlooked, but magnesium is a crucial mineral for our body.  Magnesium is used in hundreds of different body functions, but due to the diet most Americans eat, many of us have a deficiency. I have read that millions suffer from magnesium deficiency without even realizing it.

I started looking into Magnesium about 6 months ago. I endured a very difficult first trimester with our fifth baby, lost 10 pounds and with my blood sugar always low I was feeling rather loopy. I started researching ways to hopefully have a better first trimester if the Lord should choose to bless us with another baby. I read several stories about how women were dramatically helped by taking magnesium, so I have been taking magnesium (trying to remember to take that is!) in the hopes of it possibly helping morning sickness in the future.

My mother in law has suffered from migraines and they got to the point that she was having dizzy spells. She went to several doctors but they didn’t help her. Finally, someone suggested she try taking magnesium, and it has greatly helped her dizzy spells.

natural calm

I try to remember to take magnesium at night, and prefer the Natural Calm powder. It really does help me sleep better, and it doesn’t taste bad. You need to start at a small dosage and work your way up as magnesium can cause loose stools.

Another alternative to taking magnesium powder is to make magnesium lotion! I recently made this, and I’ve been thrilled with the results!  If you struggle with constipation, it will help you in that area. 🙂 Magnesium also gives you a calming effect, which is great if you are stressed or anxious.

Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency

Low Energy
Loss of Appetite
Restless Legs
High Blood Sugar
Muscle Cramps
Inability to Sleep
And more…

I was excited to see the ebook “Healing with God’s Earthly Gifts” included in the Ultimate Homemaking Bundle. This ebook has not been released yet, and will not be available to purchase until this fall! Included in the ebook are all sorts of natural and herbal remedies. This is a favorite of mine from the bundle, as it is a high quality ebook with excellent recipes.

The recipes are broken down into different sections, ‘The Basics’ (salves and tinctures), ‘Respiratory Ailments’, ‘Head and Stomach’, ‘Skin and Surface Remedies’, ‘Balance’, and ‘Other’.

The magnesium lotion recipe comes from the ‘Other’ section, and I have permission to share the recipe here with you all! I had so much fun making this recipe, it really is enjoyable to make your own healthy product in minutes!

This is simple, requires only a few ingredients, and can be made in less than 15 minutes.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Magnesium Lotion Recipe

Benefits of Joy Essential Oil |
*You may sub any other liquid oil (almond, olive, jojoba, etc.). Some have even used coconut, although it produces a harder lotion.

Ingredients for making magnesium Lotion

Step 1: Heat 1⁄2 c. filtered water just hot enough to steam, then add the magnesium flakes and stir or shake in a covered jar until dissolved. You will not use all of it for this recipe, so save some for later.

Magnesium Flakes Dissolved

Step 2: In a saucepan over low heat, melt the shea butter and beeswax together, then add the avocado oil.

Step 3: Add the melted oils to a blender. At this point, you want the oils and the magnesium oil to be about the same temperature, or just warmer than room temperature. If they are drastically different, they won’t form an emulsion.

Step 4: Add the magnesium oil to the blender too. Turn it on low at first, then turn it up until the lotion turns thick, white, and opaque.

Step 5: Immediately pour the finished lotion into a glass jar – one pint-sized or 4 4-oz. jelly jars. Use a spatula to scrape the lotion out of the blender and into the jar. The lotion is finished!

Step 6: Run the blender under hot water, then add soap and blend on high to make cleaning easier.

Use: Use 1/8 tsp. for small children and babies, up to 1 tsp. for adults (possibly more for pregnant women) daily or as needed. Spread on a thin-skinned areas. This lasts for 3 – 6 months.

Caution: Those with an allergy to latex should not use, or should choose cocoa or mango butter instead of shea butter.

Magnesium Lotion |

I had purchased magnesium oil after finding out how great magnesium is. That stuff burns though! Making the magnesium lotion is a much gentler way to get a good daily dose of magnesium in.

This lotion is best applied on your stomach or thighs area. I normally do my stomach because I figure the good oils in it can’t hurt my stretch marks. 🙂

1. Thanks for sharing this! I buy magnesium lotion (from a mommy blogger) and it helps my boys with “growing pains”. I didn’t realize a lack of magnesium caused all those symptoms you listed. I pinned this for future reference. Thanks again!

2. Tammy Jones says:

Could I sub coconut oil in place of the shea butter?

I don’t think I would try that. I don’t think it would come together very well. You could substitute coconut oil for the avocado oil though.

• Jeanne Kozak says:

I followed the recipe except I used Almond oil. It did not turn white, it is sort of yellowish and more like an oil than a cream. ????

3. I am so going to make and use this! I use magnesium oil right now, but like you said, it stings! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

4. This recipe looks good! I am on a magnesium kick after trying several types of supplements and methods to try to cure insomnia and restless leg syndrome by natural means. I am wondering what to do with the leftover magnesium oil. Is there anything I can use it for? How long will it last? Perhaps I can use it in a later batch of this magnesium lotion? Thanks. Also, I bought some minerals in oil form to put on my legs for restless legs. It is almost impossible to get the oil out, and this oils stings too. I didn’t look to see if magnesium was in it or not.

5. Hi,
    I love that you put up a recipe to make magnesium oil at home! Thank you. Do you know how long it’s designed to last, like a shelf-life?

6. Mag user says:

I use magnesium for restless leg syndrome. And I have to take SO much of it, that the loose stools becomes a problem. Lotion is great and totally use it and will look into this!
    but also, if you want something to take without the loose stools, check out

They reduce the magnesium to it’s ionic state and you absorb exceedingly more, as well as NO loose stools. I love it. They also have a Cal/Mag.

Thought I’d put that out there as I can’t live without this stuff!

7. **** Love the oil **** but please be advised that some have a magnesium allergy. I found out the hard way that my 1 yr old has this. We put it on an instantly she was red scratching and screaming. A quick shower with soap and it calmed down. I would say start with a small area a couple of times just to be sure. Thanks for your site. Just wanted an FYI out there.

• Franchesca says:

I thought I might share our experience with you. We’ve had the same reaction with initial use of magnesium oil and lotion too, but with continued use, the redness and itching no longer occurs. I’ve heard that that initial reaction is a sign of magnesium deficiency, which would explain why it no longer happens after regular use. With my little one, I mix mg oil and apricot kernel oil (which helps with the itching) in a dropper bottle and rub on the bottoms of her feet and then put on socks at night. After two weeks of regular use, there was no more itching. Of course, you’re mama and you know best for your little one, just thought I’d share in case it could help.

8. I’m trying to find out if the ancient minerals magnesium oil that I already have (not made from flakes) could work in place of the magnesium mixture you suggest in your recipe? And if so, I’m wondering if it would be at the same ratio?
    I would like to utilize what I already have on hand.

9. I just found the answer, 1/3cup pure magnesium oil (not from flakes) for 150-200mg of magnesium per tsp and 2/3 cup pure magnesium oil for extra strength providing 300-400 mg per tsp.
    The recipe you provided with the measurements for the avocado oil and Shea butter are the same.
    Hopefully this helps others who might have the same question. 🙂

10. It might just be me, I was a bit confused, are we to use the flakes along with straight magnesium oil in the recipe?

• No you don’t use both, you are making your own magnesium oil by adding the flakes in the water, as shown down below the recipe. I hope that helps!

11. Suzanne says:

Caroline, thanking you for replying.
    I have under my bathroom sink a huge jug of magnesium oil that I have never used. Same brand as the flakes above. My question: might I use that in place of the flakes, and if so, what would the measurements be. I ask so that I don’t run out and spend money needlessly.

12. Did I go wrong somewhere or does this all sound pretty normal for magnesium lotion? I made this tonight, as the recipe says with the addition of a teaspoon of vitamin E and I used the blender blade in my food processor rather than using an actual blender. It is EXTREMELY oily! 30 minutes later and I still feel like I have stuck my feet in a vat of fat! I put a tiny bit on my daughter’s feet and before I could get her socks on, she put her foot on my leg. My jeans now have a huge oil stain. I couldn’t imagine putting this anywhere else on body, all of my clothes would be ruined! Plus, mine never turned white. I did use organic avocado oil, and it’s VERY green, so I’m assuming that’s why my lotion came out green. Should I have blended longer? I also didn’t have beeswax pastilles. Since a Tbsp of liquid weighs approximately .25 oz., I simply weighed out .55 oz. (.5 plus .05 for safe measures).

I think leaving out the beeswax was your problem, plus maybe the avocado oil causing the stain?? The beeswax is needed to thicken the recipe and make it like a lotion. I’m sorry it didn’t turn out! :/

• I did use beeswax, just not the pastilles. I used .55 oz. of beeswax. Sorry! I see now that I wasn’t very clear with that. The consistency is nice, it’s just very greasy.

Mine is a little greasy, but not anything like what you are describing. Maybe it is the oils you used? I’m so sorry! :/

13. Kristie says:

I found this link through Pinterest, and was interested, since I make cold process soap, and am learning about making lotions/creams. I am trying to cut the ties to all the store bought beauty products. However, I am a little confused as to how adding magnesium flakes to water makes oil? Also, do you advise to keep the emulsion in the refrigerator since there is no type of stabilizer or preservative?

14. Janice Harward says:

I have been using magnesium lotion for nearly a year now and for me, with Fibromyalgia, it works so well! When my legs and feet hurt I rub the lotion on, and within a half hour the ache is nearly gone and I feel calmer. I didn’t realize until lately that if I use it daily I feel much better! I can only use a half teaspoon of the lotion or I feel a bit itchy all over. But a half teaspoon does the job.

• Do you make your own and where on your body do u put it ? I also have fibro and have been using Morton Lotion but I don’t think it is strong enough as I get some relief but not like others are atating. Thanks!

15. I plan to make this lotion soon, but I’m trying to save some money right now and I was wondering if I could blend magnesium oil with a high quality shea butter lotion. I have some magnesium oil that I bought (LifeFlo brand) and I have a shea butter lotion that contains these ingredients:

Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Deionized Water, Stearyl Alcohol (Palm Kernel), Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter*, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter*, African Black Soap Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Meal, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Vegetable Glycerin, Jojoba Oil, Salicylic Acid, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Essential Oil Blend *Certified Organic Ingredient

Sorry for this lengthy comment ,just looking for some experienced, informed opinions. Thanks!

16. J sorensen says:

Your safety note for latex allergy should also include the avocado oil. In fact, anyone allergic to latex should just walk away from this recipe or come up with one of their own blends using this as a base.

17. I love this recipe but I noticed when I keep the lotion at room temp it looks like water is departing which I figure the only water is from the mag oil but I’m not sure that it should separate from the lotion. It doesn’t happen much when refrigerated. Is this ok or am I doing something wrong?

18. I made this for my pregnant loved ones. It came out just fine. Consistency is similar to jarred Nivea cream. My shea butter stinks though.

19. Jane Precourt says:

I tried this today– mine never “thickened” into a lotion consistency (it stayed oily/runny) so I tried adding more melted beeswax after the fact which did thicken it, but also left a “bumpy” texture. How long are you supposed to blend the mixture before it thickens?

20. Hi there. Thank you for the recipe. I’ve been looking for one for ages but not knowing where to find. Could you explain your measurements please? What is ‘c’ We don’t use those measurements here in Australia. Thank you 😊

21. Lynn in Tucson says:

Are magnesium chloride flakes the same as Epsom salts? I can’t get this to dissolve completely, no matter how much I warm the water.

22. Hi, Can you substitute emulsifier for beeswax? I am new to making my own products and have only got emulsifire

1. […] How to Make Your Own Magnesium Lotion […]